Carina L. WilmotOffice: Helena
- Providing guidance on responding to employee issues such as employee discipline - policy development - wage and overtime issues - worker health restrictions - complaints and grievances - leave requests - and terminations and resignations.
- Assisting employers and businesses in drafting and reviewing employment contracts including non-compete and non-solicitation provisions - employee handbooks - drug and alcohol testing policies compliant with Federal and Montana law - and release and settlement agreements.
- Training boards - supervisors - and employees on laws and their role in hiring - disciplining - and terminating employees - providing an equal employment work environment - and navigating the complex laws within the Americans with Disabilities Act - the Family Medical Leave Act - and workers’ compensation.
- Working with employers on I-9 verification and compliance issues.
Carina’s practice focuses on employment law, immigration and I-9 compliance, and estate planning. Carina enjoys working with employers and businesses on day-to-day issues in the workplace and litigation avoidance strategies. She routinely handles a wide variety of general outside counsel matters, including discipline and terminations; discrimination, retaliation, and harassment issues; executive employment agreements; issues with employees during mergers and acquisitions; commercial contracts; and advice to employers on compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws. Carina also assists with I-9 compliance and immigration issues that arise for employers. She works with clients across Montana from small local businesses to international businesses, and represents a variety of industries including retail establishments, engineering firms, health care organizations, telecommunications and utility companies, educational institutions, and non-profits. Carina also enjoys working with individuals and families on estate planning, estate and trust administration, elder law, and business organizations.
Carina is a Montana native and feels at home in the mountains around Montana and Wyoming. She enjoys spending time with her family, being outdoors, and skating with the Hel’z Belles Roller Derby team.
- I-9 & Workforce Compliance
- Labor & Employment
- Advice and representation in employment litigation, including wrongful discharge and discrimination matters
- Development of drug testing policies and related advice
- Employee discipline and termination advice
- Employee screening, hiring practices and policies
- Employment contract review and drafting
- Employment policy development, including handbook drafting and review
- Family and Medical Leave Act compliance
- Independent contractor / employee classification
- National Labor Relations Act
- Non-compete and non-disclosure agreements
- Separation agreements
- Wage and hour compliance
- Workers Compensation
- Trusts & Estates
- Estate Planning
North Dakota, 2017
U.S. District Court, District of Montana, 2014
2014, J.D., with High Honors, University of Montana School of Law
1997, M.A., Intercultural Communication, University of New Mexico
1995, B.S. in Social Sciences, University of Wyoming (UW Honors Program)
Prior Experience (Employment)
Prior to her legal work, Carina worked in human resources as a Recruiter and in the new hires department for an organization of over 5,000 employees. Carina also worked with Johns Hopkins University training professionals in developing countries in leadership and health communication.
Tibetan Children’s Education Foundation, Board Member
Society of Human Resource Managers – Member
State Bar of Montana
American Bar Association
Montana Defense Trial Lawyers Association
First Judicial District Bar Association
Lawyers’ Fund for Client Protection, Board Member
Presentations & Publications
Carina Wilmot, Reichert v. State ex rel. McCulloch and the Open Door for Increased Pre-Election Substantive Judicial Review, 74 Mont. L. Rev. 441 (2013) (Available at: http://scholarship.law.umt.edu/mlr/vol74/iss2/9)
Carina Wilmot, Test Bank to Accompany ‘Interpersonal Conflict’ (6th edition), Hocker, J.L. and Wilmot, W. McGraw Hill, Inc. (2000)
Carina Wilmot, International Teaching Assistants: Redefining Conflict in the Classroom, University of New Mexico: Dissertation Abstracts International (1997)
Carina Wilmot, Instructor’s Manual to Accompany ‘Interpersonal Conflict’ (5th edition), Wilmot, W. and Hocker, J. McGraw Hill, Inc. (1997)