Victoria A. MarquisOffice: Billings
- Due diligence review of environmental issues - including federal and state permits and potential hazardous waste issues affecting acquisition of mining entities; initiation of oil and gas operations and project modifications.
- Representation of oil and gas operators in royalty payment; well expenditure and bonus payment litigation.
- Representation of natural resource industries during application for water discharge; air mining permits as well as associated environmental review.
Victoria (Vicki) Marquis is an Associate in the Natural Resources and Environmental Litigation Practice Group. She practices in the firm’s Billings office and focuses on civil litigation, primarily environmental, natural resources, and commercial, as well as environmental due diligence and permitting. Vicki’s experience includes federal and state litigation involving environmental review, endangered species issues, and natural resource contract claims including royalty payments, oil and gas well expenditures, bonus payments, surface damage and use, and reclamation. Vicki provides thorough environmental due diligence of federal and state permits, including mining, air, hazardous waste, water, and endangered species issues. Vicki has worked with federal and state agencies as well as legislators on water quality issues, including draft legislation and draft administrative rules. Additionally, Vicki has presented legal education seminars on challenges expected for natural resource permittees and water quality regulation.
Before joining Crowley Fleck, Vicki worked as a chemist in a variety of laboratories, as an enforcement specialist for the Montana Department of Environmental Quality, and as the Coordinator for the Missouri River Conservation Districts Council. Vicki earned a B.A. in Chemistry from Gonzaga University and received her Juris Doctor with honors from the University of Montana School of Law. She is licensed to practice in Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming. She is also honored to serve as a Judge Advocate in the Montana Army National Guard.
- Mining – Hard Rock, Coal and Other Minerals
- Pipelines, Transmission Lines and Other Linear Facilities
- Oil and Gas
- Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and State Equivalents
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA or Superfund), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), and Solid or Hazardous Waste
- Constitutional Environmental Claims (Montana)
- Endangered Species Act (ESA) and Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA)
- Environmental Due Diligence
- Legislative Activities
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and State Equivalents
- Regulatory and Administrative Affairs
- Due Diligence
- Litigation and Administrative Proceedings
- Mine Development and Operation
- Permitting and Environmental
- Other Water-Related Matters
State Bar of Montana, 2013
State Bar of Wyoming, 2014
State Bar of North Dakota, 2014
U.S. District Court for the District of Montana, 2013
U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota, 2015
2013 – J.D. with honors, University of Montana School of Law
1992 – B.A. in Chemistry, Gonzaga University, Dean’s List
Prior Experience (Employment)
Coordinator, Missouri River Conservation Districts Council, 2005-2010
Environmental Enforcement Specialist, Montana Department of Environmental Quality, 2001-2005
State Bar of Montana
Wyoming State Bar Association
North Dakota State Bar Association