John Semmens is a Partner in the firm’s Helena office, and a member of the firm’s Employment Practice Group and Commercial Litigation Group. His practice areas include employment advice and litigation, commercial litigation, and real property litigation. John routinely represents clients before administrative agencies, Montana district courts, and federal courts.
John is a native of Great Falls, Montana. He graduated Maxima Cum Laude from Carroll College with a B.A. in History in 2008, and graduated in 2012 with honors from the University of Montana School of Law, where he was an editor of the Montana Law Review.
During law school, John satisfied his clinical requirements by clerking for the Honorable Donald W. Molloy of the United States District Court for the District of Montana. After law school, John clerked for Justice Beth Baker of the Montana Supreme Court.
John enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife, Jackie, and their three young children.
- Commercial Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Advice and representation in employment litigation, including wrongful discharge and discrimination matters
- Employee discipline and termination advice
- Employee screening, hiring practices and policies
- Employment contract review and drafting
- Employment policy development, including handbook drafting and review
- Family and Medical Leave Act compliance
- Independent contractor / employee classification
- National Labor Relations Act
- Non-compete and non-disclosure agreements
- Separation agreements
- Wage and hour compliance
- Workers Compensation
- Pro Bono
- Real Estate
- Access, Title and Property Disputes
- Development, Zoning and Land Use
- Farm and Ranch Transactions
- Tort Litigation
- Class Action Defense
U.S. District Court, District of Montana, 2012
2012 – J.D., with Honors, University of Montana School of Law
2008 – B.A. in History, Maxima Cum Laude, Carroll College
Prior Experience (Employment)
August 2012 – August 2013 – Law Clerk for Justice Beth Baker; Montana Supreme Court
September 2013 – November 2014 – Associate Attorney; Jackson, Murdo & Grant, P.C.
State Bar of Montana